Monday, November 22, 2010

#2 – or, Revolutions and other birthday parties

So, last week I turned 28. I really didn’t want a birthday this year. I just wanted it to be another day and not have to think about it. Considering all that has happened in the last year of my life, I think that’s understandable. But, as my life goes – I didn’t get my wish for a non-existent birthday. It was, however, much more low key than years past. And during dinner with my family, I had a revelation – it was the perfect birthday.

I was surrounded by my friends the weekend before – those who had supported me, laughed and cried with me, encouraged me…they were all right there again. Just as they always had been. Just as they always will be. Laughing, talking and making plans for how we are going to really celebrate this year. We have a lot to be happy about, and this year, we’re going to start acting like it…more to come on that later.

And then, for my actual birthday – a quiet dinner with my incredible family. It was perfect. Complete with cake and ice cream! How could it not be fantastic when there’s a chocolate cake and neopolitan ice cream involved? Because as we all know, neopolitan is the choice for those of us who are, shall we say, decisionally challenged. Strawberry, Chocolate, Vanilla? Who has time to mull over these choices to make the right one, just have a little of each!

But during this year’s birthday festivities, I was struck with one big, sobering thought…Regardless of my circumstances, I am fine. Wow, really? Are you sure? And why am I arguing with myself at my birthday dinner? But, a still, small voice reassured me. Birthdays & divorces (two things that should never ever happen at the same time, by the way) – I’m fine. And I’ll be fine. I’m better than fine, actually. So right there, at my birthday dinner, I experienced my own little revolution. Turned the page, so to speak, in my thought patterns, in how I look at my life, how I deal with my circumstances. I’m gonna be fine. And over the weekend, one of my dearest friends, Kady, confirmed that for me. In the middle of conversations between Kricket and Hayley and some other folks around us, Kady told me that “old Ashley” was back. Thanks, Kady! And, I have to say – I’m glad to be back!

1 comment: